How to dress up your home
If you are shopping for a new home, or looking to sell your home, you may want to think about how to dress it up.
Here are some tips to make your home more welcoming, whether you are planning to sell or simply trying to dress up a new home for the festive season.
- Entry points. Try to extend the welcome all the way to the front gate. An easy way to do this is with fully grown plans near pathways or nice pots on the front veranda. Trim back those annoying trees and hedges and sweep.
- Cleanliness. You have probably already done your spring clean so this just needs to be a once over to make sure that things are picked up and put in the right place. Obviously bathrooms and kitchens are places your guests are likely to see but you should also consider the garden and pool area.
- Outdoors. If you are entertaining at night, it is particularly easy to dress up an outdoor area with pretty solar lights, tea lights, candles or fairy lights. It’s helpful to have the lawn mowed and even the path edges done. Beware of open flames and, if using electricity, make sure you have the right power cords.
- Décor. Instead of spending time scrubbing everything, try to find some nice looking things such as picture frames or knick-knacks that could grab attention and be potential conversation starters. Pictures of the friends that may visit will always create that extra spark.
- Activate the senses. We all know the trick of baking a cake during house open days (it does work!) and having fresh flowers on the table. But what about something as simple as fresh coffee? Try to get some nice music queued up and ready to go.
- Bedrooms. It goes without saying that beds should be made with fresh sheets and clutter removed. A nice touch is to leave a robe or towel on the bed. Very welcoming.